How to write a foolproof bio

Brand Strategy




How to write a foolproof bio

katie pannell

 Self proclaimed madwoman & copywriter extraordinaire. Offended by fluffy copy, industry clichés & made-up -preneur words. I put personality on paper so you can make bank just by being you.

These are a few of my favorite things:

- my musician husband, Chayse
- our kitten Eleanor Rigby (& The Beatles)
- midcentury music & decor
- messy buns & winged eyeliner
- telling everyone I'm an enneagram 4w3
- orange kitchen appliances
- brass candlesticks & depression glass
- an old fashioned and a jazz ballad


More of a DIY kinda gal? Visit the Copy Shop for the ultimate website copywriting guide.

Join my group

Free copy trainings, tips and teardowns inside the Unrivaled Facebook group!

“Stand up, tell us your name, where you’re from and a fun fact about yourself.”

No. Just no. Nothing makes us cringe more than those first day of class introductions.

Why is that? We don’t really care all that much to know Jane from small townville won a hot dog eating contest in the 4th grade.

But guess what? The people that are visiting your website DO care. Those are the people that are asking for you to tell them everything about you — within reason.

Here are my 3 foolproof tips in writing a bio that doesn’t make us cringe.

Don’t be afraid to be uniquely YOU.

There was always that one kid that told us WAY too much information when they had their moment in the spotlight. You know exactly the type I’m talking about because chances are you just remembered something about them. Maybe it was their style, special hobby, or sports team they cheered for. Those kids were unapologetically themselves. Isn’t that we strive for?

If you’re hiding who you are behind your screen, how can your audience get to know, like and trust you? Why should they purchase your product or service over the others out there?

Listen to someone talk about you.

This may sound a little crazy, but hear (read) me out. Imagine your closest family and friends reviewing your “About Me” page on the other side of a two-way mirror. What are they saying? What is their body language saying? Are they smiling? Do they nod in agreement? Of course your brand has a visual identity, but don’t forget how critical your copy is. Ask yourself if what you’ve written has your fingerprints all over it. People crave connections. Give the people what they want! Your bio is the most clicked page on your website.

Tell a bedtime story—to yourself.

Once upon a time, there was a beginning, a middle and an end. In this case, an introduction, a “why” and a call to action. Just start typing, get it all out. Record yourself reading it aloud. Press play, close your eyes and listen. Pay attention to the rhythm of your story. Are you uncomfortable and want to turn it off? Notice your phrasing. Don’t let your audience make assumptions about you. Instead, lead them to the heart of their own assumption. Translation: Don’t be the food blogger that says “I love to cook.” Instead, tell us about your memories making sausage balls with your mom every Christmas morning.

Your brand is an extension of you. You are unique, charismatic, and living your best life. Don’t let your bio sell you short. By breathing life into your About Me page, you’re giving your brand a pulse. You’re giving your audience a reason to know, like and trust you.  You’re building something bigger than yourself by making genuine connections. The best part? All you have to do is be yourself!

Okay Katie, that sounds great and all, but I’m a terrible writer. What do I even include?

Employ the 80/20 rule. You may have heard this rule as it applies to social media content but it can be applied to your bio as well. As far as social media goes, the key to success is not over promoting your products/services. Stick to serving your audience 80% of the time, and selling 20%.

Your bio should be 80% relevant to what you do and your business. This includes things like your backstory, why you’re boldly pursing your passions, your qualifications and references, etc. The other 20% should be your human connection. Note: just because this is only 20% of your bio doesn’t mean it has to be the smallest, most hidden detail. This 20% is the perfect part to create a visual infographic or design about your favorite things or random fun facts.

Remember, if they’re visiting your bio they WANT to know your name, where you’re from and a fun fact about yourself.

Share with the class, y’all.

  1. Lilly Pulko says:

    Love all this insight and plan to use it!!!

  2. I’m updating my portfolio soon to hopefully get my foot in the door at my dream company, so I need to rewrite my bio! Thanks Kate! <3

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.